Read this article and discover how you can possibly find an IP address range of a certain website or a domain name! Use our helpful step-by-step guidance!
Many people would like to know how they can possibly find an IP address range of a certain website or a domain name! If you are one of those people, you have come to the right place as we are going to explain to you step-by-step how you can do that.
So, you could find the IP address that is currently used by a website or a domain name by doing a DNS lookup. We are going to present you an example so you can understand better what we are saying. For instance, with dig A www.example.com you will discover all IPv4 addresses that the DNS server restores or returns for this specific domain name. The dig AAA www.example.com on the other hand, will discover all IPv6 addresses that the DNS sever returns or restores for the domain name. However, you need to keep in mind that getting the IP address by using this method and then configure blocking according to this procedure as well may cause some problems such as:
- The mapping is determined and specified for a precise hostname only and all three examples such as example.com, www1.example.com, and www2example.com may give different results.
- The mapping between the IPD address and domain name might change any time. There are many possible reasons for this to happen such as the location you as from, the load of the server, using malware delivering websites, and etc. All these things may cause the IP address to change once the address they utilized is added on a blacklist.
- You need to keep in mind that there might be a few domain names that share the exact same IP address so blocking the IP address may block all these domain names and not just one. You will cause unwanted side effects or overblocking.
How to Locate the IP Address of a Website or a Server
Besides finding an IP address range of a website or domain name, there are people who would like to know how to find the IP address of a website or server as well.
In order to find the IP address of a certain website or server, there are a few procedures you need to follow. We are going to present you 3 methods that can help you find the IP address of your website or server.
- Check Your Welcome Mail – The IP address is usually given in the welcome email you receive from a certain service. If you can’t find this email, try the other two methods.
- Use a Lookup Service – In order to determine the IP address of your domain or server, please follow these steps: First, you need to find the domain field and enter your domain name. Then, in the record type list you need to select A, and the final step is to click lookup.
- Use the Ping Function – If you have more experience about these things, then this option will be most suitable for you. If you know to enter your terminal emulator or command line, then you utilize the ping command in order to find the IP address of your website or server. Type ping at the prompt, press space, and then type the domain or the server host name. Press enter and you are done.
Other topics that might be of your interest:
- Domains name generator
- Shopify Domains
We hope that our step-by-step guidance was helpful to you!